Hello, all! As one school year grows toward a rapid conclusion, I know that we’re already looking deeply into the 2019-2020 school year. Therefore, before my calendar completely fills, I’d like to send out my annual reminder that if you’re looking for a fresh set of ears and eyes to work with your band, I am available as a consultant throughout the coming fall, winter, and spring months. Join the other programs across the country that bring me to their bands for multi-day marching and concert band intensives, honor bands, judged performances in the concert and marching realms, and more that will help bring your performance to a new level! In addition, I am an experienced adjudicator, so don’t hesitate to contact me to contract my services. Best of luck to everyone as they prepare their young performers!
I’m excited to share this video produced with the Blue Stars Drum and Bugle Corps that highlights how I and my colleagues select and prepare our brass soloists for a World Class field production. Check it out!
Band directors, are you looking for a fun, energetic arrangement for your upcoming holiday parade obligations? Then why not try my 2017 Holiday Celebration. The arrangement was featured in a performance by the Macy’s Great American Marching Band, and was seen by over 50 million viewers in the Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade. You can see video of the performance at https://youtu.be/RKKdC-WHs00.
To make the arrangement more comfortable for parade ensembles, the tempo has been reduced, and the wind parts feature options that make it accessible to a wide variety of ensemble skills levels. Note that the arrangement does not include the “Santa Claus is Comin’ to Town” ending in order to maintain brevity and to comply with copyright laws. Finally, the percussion writing is the superb work of Dr. Doug Rosener.
You can hear the chart below, and can purchase the score and parts today by clicking “Buy Now!” PDF parts and score are delivered via e-mail in minutes. Happy Holidays, everyone!
Very proud of the 2017 Macy’s Great American Marching Band! Thanks for once again giving me the honor of writing the music and drill for this special group! You can see the video of their performance at https://youtu.be/RKKdC-WHs00 #MGAMB
The Blue Stars Drum and Bugle Corps are pleased to sponsor Dr. Ward Miller’s tour of guest clinics, lectures, and conducting instruction at colleges, universities, and high schools across the Midwest. For the fourth year in a row, the “Partnering with Music Education” tour allows Dr. Miller to reach out and work with our finest music educators and young musicians in the band world.
“Dr. Miller’s tour of band programs each fall has become an important part of our outreach to music educators and students,” said Blue Stars Executive Director Brad Furlano. “We are pleased to have someone with Ward’s talents as part of our organization, and this tour allows him to share his knowledge and enthusiasm for music and the performing arts throughout the Midwest.”
Currently, the tour is scheduled to visit the following destinations. More guest appearances are being scheduled as we speak, so look for the list to be updated!
- University of Minnesota Marching Band (Minneapolis, MN) – Wednesday, September 13
- River Falls High School (River Falls, WI) – Wednesday, September 20
- Portage High School (Portage, WI) – Thursday, September 21
- Minnesota State University (Mankato, MN) – Thursday, September 21
- Youngstown State University (Youngstown, OH) – Tuesday-Thursday, September 26-28
- Memorial High School (Eau Claire, WI) – Monday, October 2
- University of Wisconsin – La Crosse (La Crosse, WI) – Tuesday, October 3
- Greendale High School (Greendale, WI) – Tuesday, October 3
- Onalaska High School (Onalaska, WI) – Wednesday, October 4
- Lowndes High School “Georgia Bridgemen” (Valdosta, GA) – Monday-Wednesday, October 9-11
- Western Illinois University (Macomb, IL) – Tuesday, October 17
- University of Iowa (Iowa City, IA) – Wednesday, October 18
- Rock Island High School (Rock Island, IL) – Wednesday-Thursday, October 18-19
- University of Illinois (Urbana-Champaign, IL) – Friday, October 20
- Milford High School (Milford, OH) – Monday-Thursday, October 23-26
- University of Louisville (Louisville, KY) – Wednesday, October 25
- Miami University of Ohio (Oxford, OH) – Thursday, October 26
- University of Kentucky (Lexington, KY) – Friday, October 27
- Central High School (La Crosse, WI) – Thursday, November 2
The Blue Stars, a World Class drum and bugle corps based in La Crosse, WI, is a perennial DCI World Championships Finalist. The Blue Stars will hold a series of Fall audition camps for their 2018 corps at sites throughout the United States, and via video. For more information, visit www.bluestars.org.